Friday, September 24, 2010

~ my husband rocks! ~ What's the point?


It has been a crazy year, and as such my posting has been a little erratic. I thought it would be a good idea at this point to go back to the basics of MHRF, and lay out the real reasons we do this on a mostly weekly basis.

If you've read any of my MHR posts from the past two years (I know, can you believe it?), you'll have to admit that my husband is a pretty incredible guy :) - but you know what doesn't go into those posts? Every time we have an argument, or when he does something that really ticks me off, or when he's in a bad mood, or when he's just plain frustrating.

I know what you're thinking, "Wait a second, you mean you post the good things about Austin, but you just leave out the bad things? That seems a little dishonest!"

That is where you would be wrong. Sorry :)

There are several reasons that I don't write long ranting posts about the less-than-great parts of my marriage. First of all, it isn't really anyone's business, and it would ultimately do way more harm than good to me, Austin, our emotional health and the overall health of our marriage. But mostly because that would be far too easy.

Now, that's not to say that the negative aspects of marriage far outweigh the positive (although that is definitely what the world would like us to believe). It would be easier to rant about the negative while overlooking the positive than to choose to focus on the positive because I am a selfish, fallen, broken human being married to an equally fallen and broken human being. There's no getting around that this side of heaven.

So what's the point of My Husband Rocks! Fridays? Simply that choosing to focus on all of the wonderful things our husbands do and say and are helps us remember on the not-so-wonderful days why we got married in the first place. And not only that, but showing enough respect for our husbands to not air all of our dirty laundry, but to brag on them and build them up will do far more for the betterment of our marriages than if they "fixed" everything "broken" about them.

Because when it comes right down to it, we wives do a lot of things to frustrate, annoy, anger, and yes, even antagonize our husbands, and I don't think I'm going too far out onto a limb to say that we would much rather they tell their friends and co-workers about the amazing cake we made for dessert last night than how much we nagged them to fix the leaky faucet.

Just some food for thought!

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday, and a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, real post. I too refuse to post "that stuff" but I need to be better about posting the good stuff here at MHR! Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you! I ALWAYS read your comments, and they make my day!

Thank you!