Monday, January 5, 2009

Motivate Me Monday ~ Appreciating the Word



Over the last couple of weeks, I have been reading Francine Rivers's Mark of the Lion series as part of my 101 things in 1001 days list. It is a compelling series that I would highly recommend. The series follows early Christians in Rome, Ephesus, and ultimately Germania. I have posted my detailed thoughts about each book (A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness, and As Sure as the Dawn); however, one of the common themes of the three books that struck me was the characters' appreciation for Scripture.

I was very convicted about the degree to which I take my Bible for granted. Most of the early churches shared copies of only one or two epistles, and sometimes copies of the Torah. The same is true for the persecuted church of today. How many whole Bibles do you own? Between the two of s we probably have at least six or seven, and to my shame I have sometimes gone for months at a time without cracking the covers! Why is it that it takes the threat of losing something before we realize how precious it is? It is not a dusty history book or a dry fairy tale - it is truly God's love letter to us!

Be sure to check in at Sarah Mae's place for some other motivated ladies!

8 comments:

  1. Your post is motivating! It is so true that I often take my bible for granted as well - thank you for reminding me of the great privledge I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my word, I LOVE those books! The second one has to be my favorite! When I read the first chapter after just crying my eyes out reading the last chapter of the first book, I literally screamed with joy! (don't want to give any details away for anyone who hasn't read them...hee hee hee)

    And, like you, I came to appreciate the Word of God more...it has since waned a bit. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these books, too. I re-read them again redently, and could hardly put them down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do forget how blessed we are with such easy access to the Bible. I am happy to say that the 5:16 Am club has helped me to get back in the Word regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true! I know personally that often times I don't realize what I have, until I no longer have it. I've heard of people who have been persecuted who have one page of scripture that they keep wherever they can - they memorize it - they share it with others, but they are careful to make sure that they won't lose this one page. And here I am, with multiple copies of entire Bibles, and yet, I don't treat my Bible with this kind of passion and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love Redeeming Love but have not read any of Francine Rivers' other books. Thanks for sharing your thought on them.

    And thanks for your openness and honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love that series! I read it about 8 years ago and remember thinking the exact same thing...how much we take our Bibles for granted! I'll have to go re-read them, they are great books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I struggle with this! We have such oppurtunity and yet we so often take it for granted.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you! I ALWAYS read your comments, and they make my day!

Thank you!