Monday, December 29, 2008

A new version of New Year's resolutions . . .

I had seen the 101 in 1001 challenge on a couple of other blogs, but I found Maci the week before Christmas, and decided to give it a go for myself:

101 Things in 1001 days - brought to you by Day Zero

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Some common goal setting tips:

1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.

2. Stay Focussed. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.

3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.

4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.


I had planned on posting this on January 1st, but I am too excited to wait, so I am starting today!


Below is my list, in the order that it came out of my head. I am starting a separate page to document this part of my journey (don't worry, I will continue your regularly scheduled programming here at the great adventure, lol!), and there I have the items listed by category.

My 101 Things . . .

. . . Starting December 29, 2008 - Ending September 26, 2011

1. Finish my novel and submit it to a publisher.
2. Get a new job.
3. Win NaNoWriMo.
4. Complete an adoption homestudy.
5. Travel internationally at least three different times.
6. Construct a workable housekeeping plan and stick to it for 3 consecutive weeks.
7. Walk the dog 3 times/week for 3 consecutive weeks.
8. Drink 3 glasses of water/day for 21 days straight
9. Send each family member a birthday card.
10. Call Mom & Dad once every week.
11. Call Kindra once a week.
12. Call Kelli once a week.
13. Put on a MHR retreat.
14. Give Austin a massage at least 3x/week.
15. Take a salsa dancing class.
16. Send the Hoyts 5 care packages
17. Open an Etsy store and make at least 50 sales.
18. Create a master bill-paying schedule/notebook.
19. Learn the requirements for homeschooling in Iowa and take any necessary classes/certifications.
20. Write thank you notes for every gift we receive.
21. Plant flowers in the front yard.
22. Plant a vegetable garden in the back yard.
23. Plant an herb garden in the kitchen (the kind in the little pots.)
24. Read at least 20 of the titles on the AP English reading list
25. Read at least 10 of the titles on Classic & Contemporary Literature list that are NOT on the AP list.
26. Read every book on A Christian Woman's Reading List
27. Read every book on the Books for Christian Parenting list
28. Read every book on The Best Christian Marriage Books list
29. Find a prayer partner.
30. Get up at 5:16 on the nose for 21 consecutive days.
31. Memorize the book of Romans
32. Memorize the book of Hebrews
33. Memorize the book of Proverbs
34. Read through the entire Bible at least twice.
35. Learn to drive a stick shift.
36. Go to Washington, D.C.
37. Organize my office, and keep it in an orderly fashion.
38. Create our wedding scrapbook
39. Finish our vacation scrapbook(s)
40. Find a home church
41. Join a couples' small group
42. Send Christmas or New Year's cards every year
43. Go on a cruise
44. Have a girls' weekend with my mom & sisters & Aunt Geri
45. Have a serious spa day
46. Donate blood.
47. Volunteer for at least 20 hours.
48. Be on a party committee for a work event.
49. Take a photography class.
50. Get an old-time photo taken with Hoss.
51. Participate in a 5K or 10K for a charity.
52. Make sure the kitchen is clean before I go to bed for 21 days straight
53. Take a sign language class.
54. Take a Spanish class
55. Do project 365
56. Finish a crocheting project.
57. Crochet a baby blanket.
58. Do my hair differently every day for 21 days.
59. Get a professional makeup consultation.
60. Go to New York City with Austin
61. Practice French at least once a week
62. Compile all of the recipes that I use or would like to use often, and copy them into my recipe book.
63. Take an dance/pilates class
64. Exercise 3x/week for 1 month
65. Develop a workable pantry system.
66. Make an extra freezer meal at least once a month
67. Write an "If something happens to me" letter
68. De-clutter every room and have a huge garage sale.
69. Build an emergency fund of 3 months' income
70. Go to the dentist.
71. Make a stuffed animal.
72. Document (at least) one happy moment every day.
73. Invite the neighbors over for supper.
74. Go on one date/month - just the two of us
75. Read at least 25 non-fiction books
76. Read at least 30 books from my Shelfari "I plan to read" shelf.
77. Meet at least 5 blog friends face to face.
78. Appear on a talk show (Oprah, Phil, Bonnie Hunt) to talk about MHR
79. Sing at church at least 5 times
80. Plan a trip/outing with just Kelli & us
81. Plan a trip/outing with just Kindra & us
82. Have 3 scrapbooking/crafting parties with Thelma & Ashley
83. Write an article for a Christian publication about MHR
84. Develop a speech or series of speeches about MHR
85. Get re-certified in First Aid/CPR
86. Go climbing in the Garden of the Gods
87. Go horseback riding with Austin
88. Spend a weekend in Chicago.
89. Visit Tom & Ashley at least 5 times
90. Take at least 1 big motorcycle trip with Austin.
91. Have a meal with each set of grandparents - just the 4 or 3 of us, at least once per family.
92. Practice piano at least 3x/week
93. Go to a Women of Faith conference with both of my moms.
94. See Beth Moore speak in person.
95. Go to a show at the Civic Center.
96. {Private} :)
97. Share my faith.
98. Start a family night - one night each week w/ no TV, but do something else together!
99. Volunteer at Samaritan Inn at least 10 times.
100. Do 20 random acts of kindness.
101. Go to a marriage conference with Austin.

Thanks for reading! Wish me luck! :)

13 comments:

  1. That is an ambitious list! Good luck. :-) When you set up your etsy shop, let me know. I've been on it alot lately and discovered it's a great place for unique baby gifts...
    Wishing you and Austin many blessings in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a great list! I am sure you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful goals and I suspect that you will complete all of them! I am a little intimidated by the thought of making that long of a list.
    Can't wait to see your updates.


    Lisa Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list is great! I am also doing a 101 Project. My husband is doing it with me, HE ROCKS!!! We started Dec. 1st.

    Thanks for sharing!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your list is great. I wanted to say as I was reading through the list that I started giggling when I read the drink more water one.

    That is one of the things that I need to more of, but when I am pregnant (which I am now) my husband swears that I drink the lake dry. You could always try that! (just teasing!)

    Several of your things are things that I have just started doing in the last few years or months as we added more blessings to our family. Organizedhome.com has some great printables that help organize the freezer and pantry. I print them out and slip them in a page protector and then tape them to the door. I can then use a a dry erase marker to mark how much I have of something and erase it as we use it and not mess up the master list.

    I hope you accomplish all your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is impressive! Good luck...and Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this. I'm going to do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea! I'm going to work on a list like this.

    Love your list! I hope you accomplish it all :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you have decided to do this! Your list has so much and I can't wait to see what all you accomplish!! I would love to meet you face to face. We should arrange that!
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the 101 Things in 1001 Days challenge! My days are up in April. I have not finished the list (boo-hoo!) but I have done a whole lot of things that I would not have done if I hadn't had the list! Unfortunately (or fortunately?) life changed. So, some of the things just are feasible or maybe desirable anymore.

    But it has been an AWESOME journey. I've blogged about it a few times.

    Blessings on your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your list, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've enjoyed reading your updates on your list. Hope you're having fun with it! You asked about adding a countdown. There is a java script at the Day Zero website under "Getting Started" about halfway down the page with instructions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you! I ALWAYS read your comments, and they make my day!

Thank you!