Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Goodness of the Lord

Psalm 27
Of David.
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evil men advance against me
to devour my flesh, [a]
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.

3 Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted
above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his [b] face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek.

9 Do not hide your face from me,
do not turn your servant away in anger;
you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
O God my Savior.

10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
the LORD will receive me.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD;
lead me in a straight path
because of my oppressors.

12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me,
breathing out violence.

13 I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

This passage was the basis of our pastor's sermon this past Sunday, and it was such a fabulous reminder for me that I thought I would post it here in its entirety. The main theme of the service was this: we are as close or as far away from God as we choose to be. I am as close to God as I make the effort every day to be. It is similar to the bumper sticker/billboard I have seen that says "If God feels far away, you are the one who moved."

This one really hit home for me. I seem to need the constant reminder that God is always ready and waiting for communication and fellowship with me, I am the one who crowds him out with all of my other "necessary responsibililties." This is not to say that the things for which I am responsible are not important, but the only way I can truly acocomplish anything well is if this relationship gets my first and best all the time.

Nothing tremendously profound, this is just what was speaking to me this week :)
Hope you're having a good one!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katy,

    I have an award for you because I love your blog. Come claim it.

    Stefani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have needed this reminder this week. Thank you for reinforcing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening, KatyLin. Thank you for posting this scripture. I've been having a couple of hard days..I needed to hear this. Thak you!
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI! I`m a SITSta too! Love your tagline for your blog, so adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you! I ALWAYS read your comments, and they make my day!

Thank you!