Monday, November 3, 2008

Randomness . . . Caution, may contain a rant.

Photobucket
source


Good morning and happy Monday, everybody! I hope you all had a fantabulous weekend.

We had a grand old time this weekend. We went to Des Moines on Friday night with our friend Michael and partook of free Chipotle. It was free because we dressed up like burritos (and by dressed up, I mean I had a headband made out of alluminum foil, while Austin fashioned his piece into horns that he stuck under his baseball cap to hold in place).

After that we headed to the Blue Moon Dueling Piano Bar, which was a blast! They have two grand pianos set up on the stage, and three guys who rotate throughout the evening, and it's an all request show. They're also big on audience participation, so everyone's clapping and dancing and singing along. From the piano bar we went to the Funny Bone comedy club and saw a couple of hillarious comedians. Eddie Gossling was the headliner. Great times! Then, since our cover was good for the whole night, we went back to the piano bar for a couple more hours, then went home.

Saturday Austin and I spent the majority of the day (after sleeping in, of course) installing a garage door. I would have taken pictures, but I'm a bad blogger and I forgot, so no pictures right now. I will take pics of the finished product, but at the moment we have only two of three doors in.

We have learned that with an old house, projects always take longer than you expect them to and this was no exception. The wood to which we needed to attach the tracks was so termite eaten that we had to completely remove it and put in new. Which is not necessarily a problem in and of itself, except that one new garage door track was already attached to it. So we had to remove the left track of the center door and kind of prop it up so the whole door wouldn't come crashing down. Then Austin cut the board so it would fit in the space, and nailed it in. We re-attached the existing door's track and went to work on the new door.

We were both pretty pleased with the way it turned out, and all in all it didn't take nearly as long as it could have had more things chosen to go wrong. :)

Sunday I decided that it would be a great idea to get my grocery shopping done. New month = new grocery budget, and we were VERY low on, well . . . everything! (This is where the rant comes in, don't say I didn't warn you!)

To start off, apparently everyone in town had the same idea that I did because the store was PACKED!!! On Sunday, how wierd is that? I'm the kind of person who likes to zoom in, get everything on my list in a particular order, go through the self checkout, and zoom out again - usually completing the entire process in about half an hour (fantastic for those lunch hour grocery trips). The sheer volume of people clogging every aisle on Sunday made this utterly impossible. Strike 1.

Photobucket
source


I have to preface this next part by saying: I love Christmas. I really do, I love everything about it, the food, the snow, the music, the presents, the family, the church pageants, everything! Honest! But really now people, it is only the. third. of. NOVEMBER!!!!! Is it really necessary to have a Christmas tree already set up? Or an entire aisle dedicated to the cheesy, cheap food gifts? Or to be blaring Christmas music in every corner of the store!!?!??!? What about Thanksgiving!??!!? Thanksgiving is a VERY, VERY, VERY important, wonderful, fun holiday, too!!! Why has everyone forgotten that Thanksgiving comes between Halloween and Christmas?

Photobucket
source


I'll tell you why - Thanksgiving is not a cash cow! You can only sell so many gourds and ears of indian corn and turkey window hangings. Christmas is what brings in the big bucks, so who really cares about Thanksgiving?

Photobucket
source


I DO!!!!!

I love Thanksgiving, probably as much as I love Christmas - we may move to the more side of that gauge because I am going to be so tired of hearing Christmas music and seeing the blasted decorations by the time December 25th rolls around!

Photobucket
source


Don't forget about Thanksgiving! It's a fabulous holiday, and the food is just as good as Christmas, maybe better!

Thank you for allowing me to vent :) Have a great day!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Katy!
    I agree, so much of the commercial marketing is so focused on jumping from Halloween to Christmas and it seems like Thanksgiving is being missed these days. I LOVE Thanksgiving because it is a time to be Thankful! And to celebrate the bounty we have. We can concentrate on our food prep without all the other distractions that come with Christmas. Great post Katy!!
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is VERY tiring to see Chrismtas around for months and months before it actually gets here!

    As for shopping on a Sunday, that is a DEFINITE no-no here. EVERYONE shops on Sunday here, so I hit the store on Monday evening, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learned to never. set. foot. in Walmart on Saturday or Sunday. Period.

    I know what you mean about Thanksgiving...I love it, too, but I have to admit I'm more than ready to start singing Christmas carols, AND to get Casting Crowns' new Christmas CD! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Thanksgiving, too. I read some advice yesterday: Make it a rule that you don't serve dessert until after the Thanksgiving dinner dishes are done - they'll get done faster that way! :)

    RYC: Are the phases on your outline like chapters?

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm annoyed by all the Christmas stuff already. Two radio stations here switched to 24-7 Christmas music the day before Halloween! Are you kidding me??

    Stop by my blog when you have a chance. I gave you an award.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you that Christmas comes too early in the stores. It's really too commercialized when the holiday isn't even about the decorations, presents, etc, but rather about the birth of Christ. I love Christmas music and decorations too, but I'd rather see them in the month of December! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let this be your warning - don't go to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Thanksgiving. It's my favorite. The food, family, weather, shopping :) It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katy Lin...I wish I could have been there for the piano duel! sWWWeeet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, Thanksgiving food is better than Christmas food!

    Btw...you've been tagged! Go here for the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Thanksgiving, too! And the food is definitely better for us! By the time Christmas rolls around, I'm too tired to do that much cooking again.

    Checkers in my grocery store have told me that Sunday is always the craziest, busiest day.

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you! I ALWAYS read your comments, and they make my day!

Thank you!